Local Engineering firm hosts college student for work experience
DLS Plastics recently hosted Level 2 Engineering student Jack Hoyes for a one-week work placement.
Jack learnt a wide variety of new skills during his experience of which include:
• Producing components using hand fitting techniques (workshop) - Jack assisted in assembling proto-type assemblies for a new swing arm TV bracket being developed in house. He also helped in carrying out a service on their main compressor (as seen in photos).
• Producing mechanical engineering drawings using a CAD system - Using DLS Plastics’ in-house CAD Training program Jack designed, developed and produced a computer mouse. He also helped in new product development for their customers in the leisure industry.
• Assembling and testing electronic circuits - Jack gained experience testing and fault finding of electrical circuits using a multi meter and correctly identify wiring on 3 phase terminations.
• Working safely in an engineering environment - As seen in the photos Jack wore the correct PPE for the tasks he was performing and followed instruction and in house procedures.
• Carrying out engineering activities efficiently and effectively - Working alongside another student, and under supervision, Jack stripped down a Gas control unit salvaging usable spare parts.
• Using and communicating technical information - Jack assisted in designing and developing a new project and produced the technical information to be sent to the customer for confirmation of accuracy.
“During Jack's time at DLS Plastics he demonstrated a good aptitude for learning and understanding of engineering principles and practice.
“He was very enthusiastic ensuring he turned up to work early every day, he was very polite and courteous and listened carefully to instruction before carrying out tasks.
“In summary, Jack did very well in his time with us, we hope that he found his time here beneficial and we wish him every success for the future,” comments Assistant Operations Manager, Dean Lawson.
Here at Grantham College, we love seeing our students flourish during their work placements. Jack's experience proves how much is learnt even from a one-week long placement and we are grateful to all the local employers that we work with who provide a great experience.