Another victory for the Table Tennis Academy

Grantham College Table Tennis Academy win 3 National titles.

Grantham College Table Tennis academy are overjoyed with the victory of becoming National Champions in the ESTTA Schools National Finals last weekend in Hinckley. 

The academy competed and successfully won and brought home trophies for the Under-19 Girls and Boys categories. Working alongside the Charles Read Academy, our partner school with the David Ross Education Trust enabled us to successfully also win the Under-16 Girls category. All the teams who competed were unbeaten throughout the whole season which shows the strength and depth of our squad. This is a great victory for the Table Tennis Academy. 

For the winners, Sophie Barlow said: “It was a struggle at times, but we fought hard and had a good rapport. When we lost the doubles, we forgot about it and picked ourselves up for the remaining matches.”

Gavin Evans said of the triumph: “I can’t stress how massive this is for the college and the staff team who have worked tirelessly to get the players in shape. The students conducted themselves impeccably – I am very proud of them.” 

This achievement is even more special as the World Schools Championships are being held in China in April 2020 and we now have the right to go and compete in this. This will be the first and only multi-sport event World School Championships. China have agreed to pay 80% of our air fare and we will be looking for sponsors to pay for the remaining 20%. 

The next steps for the Table Tennis Academy are individual National competitions this May. Congratulations to all that competed for us; we’re very proud of their achievements.

To find out more about Grantham College’s Table Tennis Academy, please visit: http://www.grantham.ac.uk/student-life/sport-enrichment/table-tennis-academy/

Visit Grantham College’s next open day on May 2nd at 5-8pm for more information. Alternatively, call 01476 400200 or email enquiry@grantham.ac.uk