Working patternPart Time
SalaryUp to £8,442.54 per annum, dependent upon skills and experience.
Closing date for applicationsThursday, 23 September 2021
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Science Technician to join our Science department. The role is 22 hours per week, 38 weeks per year.
The purpose of the role is to provide technical support services including maintaining the science labs and the equipment in them, the preparation of materials/practicals and general assistance of lecturing staff, all in support of teaching and learning within the curriculum area.
The successful applicant must have:
· A levels/BND or equivalent in science subjects
· Experience as a science lab technician in an education environment
· Experience in the preparation of materials, apparatus and equipment for practical work
· Knowledge of Health and Safety issues/procedures in labs
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Skills in general maintenance of all resources and equipment
· Technical skills in the preparation of materials, apparatus and equipment for practical work
· Effective administration skills
The roles main duties include:
· Maintaining the science labs such that they may be used effectively and safely by staff and students, including re-stocking of materials.
· Preparing materials, apparatus and equipment for student practical work, training and lecture demonstrations in all science subjects as required.
· Using appropriate software to prepare materials for administration purposes.
· Supporting teaching staff in the delivery of the curriculum, including the supervision of students.
· Maintaining accurate records and levels of equipment, materials and consumables ordering replenishment stock as necessary.
· Organising and ensuring effective operation and security of the labs, with particular regard to hazardous and/or inflammable materials (including radiation sources) and their safe storage.
· Carrying out comprehensive risk assessments for all science areas.
What we offer in return:
· An excellent pension scheme with an employer contribution of 23.8%
· A continued professional development programme of up to £750 per academic year
· A generous annual holiday allowance of 25 days pro rota, increasing to 29 days pro rata, after 5 years’ service
· Family friendly policies, including up to 5 paid occasions for time off for dependants within a 12 month period, after the first year of service
· Five college closure days in December in addition to annual leave
The closing date for all applications will be Thursday 23 September 2021.
Download the Job Description and Person Specification.
Download the Application Form.
Download the Guidance Notes for the Application Form.
Download the Policy Statement for Recruitment of Ex-Offenders.