Job numberBLS 07/19
Working patternPart Time
Salary£8.74 per hour, plus £1.49 holiday pay
Closing date for applicationsWednesday, 21 August 2019
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Bank Learning Support Assistant to join our Learning Support department.
The purpose of the role is to provide support to learners with physical and/or learning needs in class or individually.
The successful applicant must have:
- Awareness of disabilities.
- An awareness of barriers to learning.
- Flexibility with regard to supporting learners and course support.
- Excellent interpersonal / communication skills.
- Possess a Level 3 qualification.
- Possess a minimum Level 2 in Literacy / numeracy and IT
- Learning Support Qualifications.
- Minimum NVQ Care level 2 or equivalent (or working towards).
- Experience of working with young people in educational, youth work or similar. OR
- Supporting young people in secondary schools or Further Education.
The role's main duties include:
- To support learners in main stream education.
- Working with whole classes, small groups and individual students, particularly to help them access the learning materials and to help the learners stay on track.
- Working with students both within the classroom and on a withdrawal basis
- Being familiar with students’ Programmes of Support and Educational Health Care plans. Providing feedback to the Learning Support Coordinator and Academic staff regarding progress/problems.
- Providing guidance to staff across college, where appropriate, on the needs and learning styles of students with whom they are familiar.
- Support staff to differentiate work, simplify text and help produce appropriate worksheets e.g. for visually impaired students.
- Planning work for particular students, under the direction of the subject lecturers.
- Providing continuity for students and staff between lessons e.g. by providing information regarding learning achieved, behaviour or difficulties.
- Supporting students to use home to college transport.
- Promoting student’s independence within the classroom and college generally by assisting students with needs to have full access to the college facilities e.g. Refectory, Library, e-learning centre.
- Taking part in progress reviews, report writing and consultation evenings.
- Attending regular Learning Support Team meetings. The hourly rate of pay includes an element to cover meetings with course leaders/student tutors, for early arrival to lessons, and to provide follow up when necessary.
- To assist the Learning Support Coordinator with routine administrative tasks.
- To operate flexibly recognising the requirements of the learner and the requirements of classes/timetables.
- To provide students with personal care when appropriate.
What we can offer you in return:
- A generous pension contribution
- A continued professional development programme
- An extensive employee discount package
- Generous holiday entitlement which includes five additional college closure days
- For 2020 four additional college closure days over the Easter period
The closing date for all applications will be Wednesday 21 August 2019. Interview date to be confirmed.
Download the Job Description and Person Specification here.
Download the Application Form here.
Download the Guidance Notes for the Application Form here.
Download the Policy Statement for Recruitment of Ex-Offenders here.
Download the Privacy Notice here.