Apprenticeships

96% of our employers agree that training reflects up-to-date practice in industry.

The Apprenticeship programme allows people to be given practical training that is relevant to your business. The programme combines on and off the job learning so that:

  • The apprentice is working for you whilst they learn.
  • You help shape the worker that you need.
  • Once qualified, they have gained valuable real world experience.

Engagement with the Apprenticeship Programme will deliver a number of benefits to your business:

  • Improve productivity 
  • Effective teams 
  • Workforce sustainability 

Apprentices are employed by your company and must be paid a salary that reflects their skills, experience, age and ability.

"Grantham College maintains good partnerships with local and regional employers, and they make sure that the range of courses meets local priorities and skills needs." - Oftsed, September 2017

View the employers guide to apprenticeships here

Paying Apprentice Wages

From 1st April 2017, the minimum wage rate for apprentices is £3.50 per hour. The new rate will apply to:

  • Apprentices under 19.
  • Apprentices aged 19 and over but in the first year of their Apprenticeship.

Employers are encouraged to pay more than the basic minimum rate.

For more information on wage rates go to GOV.UK

What commitments do I need to make to the apprentice?

  • Provide a contract of employment (or an Apprenticeship Agreement).
  • Assign an experienced mentor who will supervise, monitor and train the apprentice(s) in the workplace.
  • Provide opportunities for training and development, ensuring relevant experience is being gained in the workplace for the appropriate Apprenticeship Programme.
  • Allow paid time for your apprentice to study and attend training at college (all apprentices must evidence 20% paid off the job training).
  • Encourage your apprentice to undertake further studies, and offer progression where possible.

The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) manages Apprenticeships as a national programme through its network of training providers.

Step by step guide to recruiting an apprentice

  1. Contact our team to arrange a advisory visit (contact details below)
  2. We will help you to advertise your vacancy
  3. Interview and select your candidate
  4. Apprenticeship starts

Our Business Advisers will support you with recruiting your ideal candidate and our experienced tutors will guide you throughout the programme.

Did you know that you could up-skill your current employees through an apprenticeship programme? To discuss your options, contact one of our advisers on the number below.

Employer Contributions

From 1st May, the government introduced the Apprenticeship Levy for employers in England with an annual pay bill of over £3 million. The levy rate is 0.5% for any bill over £3 million. The levy will go in your company's Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS) account to be used to cover the cost of your Apprenticeship training. The government will add an additional 10% to your DAS account. You have 24 months to use up any money in your DAS account.

I'm not a levy payer, do I have to pay for Apprenticeship training?

Employers are expected to make a small contribution towards their apprentice's training costs. Employers will be charged 10% of eligible costs, and the government will fund the remaining 90%, in the following circumstances:

  • The apprentice is aged 19 and over on their start date
  • The apprentice is aged 16-18 on their start date, and the employer has 50 or more employees

The government will fund 100% of the Apprenticeship costs where the apprentice is 16-18 years old and they have less than 50 employees.

Can I get any financial help towards Apprenticeships?

From 1st May, all employers who employ a 16-18 year old Apprentice will receive a £1000 incentive towards their training costs. This will be paid in two instalments in month 3 and month 12 of the Apprenticeship.

Key facts about apprenticeships

For further information about employing an apprentice, please contact our team on 01476 400200 or email enquiry@grantham.ac.uk