International students coming to the UK will encounter three different levels of study, all of which are available at Grantham College. The level at which you will be able to study depends on your level of English or your future plans.
Students who need to improve their spoken or written English can apply to complete a one term Preparatory Course, starting at Easter each year. This will consist of intensive English support and the opportunity to attend lessons in areas of interest. English ability will be assessed at the commencement and completion of the course. Students whose level of English is deemed to be of a sufficiently high level will be offered places on an appropriate full time course for the following year.
This course is dependent on sufficient numbers- early application is advised.
Students who have completed this course in the past have progressed to BTEC courses, gained significantly higher final examination grades and progressed to more prestigious universities.
Further Education Courses
Students who are considered by the College to possess a sufficiently good level of spoken and written English (IELTS score of 5.0 or equivalent preferred) can enter directly onto any of the range of programmes detailed in the full College Prospectus.
This can include the Table Tennis Academy or Football Centre of Excellence or any of our vocational programmes. However, if considering a programme other than a BTEC, advice should be sought from the Visa Issuing Authorising Authority.
- Business Studies
- Care & Children’s Care, Learning & Development
- First Level Learning
- Hair & Beauty
- Hospitality & Catering
- Public Services
- Small Animal Care
- Sports Studies
- Travel & Tourism
- Visual Performing Arts & Media
Many students choose to continue their studies at Higher Education level. This can be done by progressing onto university or by joining any one of our Higher National Diploma (HND) programmes or Foundation Degrees (FD), which are offered in conjunction with University of Bedfordshire. For all Higher Education programmes you will need an IELTS score of 5.5 or equivalent, a Cambridge First Certificate Grade A or equivalent.
Method of Assessment
- Assessment is through examinations and coursework where appropriate.
- Completion of appropriate pre-16 education in home country.
- Sufficient level of English, usually assessed by external examination, e.g. IELTS or other examination body acceptable to the Visa Issuing Authority (please ask for advice if you are unsure).
- Some subjects will require an entry test (notably Maths and Science subjects) and some subjects will require a higher level of English ability (generally Humanities)