This qualification in Sports Coaching is designed to develop and enhance the skills and knowledge of those interested in sport and sports coaching . The course will apply theoretical knowledge to practical situations, explore how barriers to participation can affect performance and how initiatives are designed to widen participation. It will also provide opportunities to develop and deliver coaching sessions which will meet the needs of sports performers regardless of age or ability. There will also be opportunities for industry validated qualifications.
For students who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include one of the following. ● A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Sports or strongly related discipline. ● A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent) and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent). ● Other related Level 3 qualifications. ● An Access to Higher Education Diploma, awarded by an approved further education institution. ● Related work experience. ● An international equivalent of the above.
Pearson HNC Community Coaching for England – 120 Credits
The aims of the Pearson BTEC Higher National in Community Coaching for England are:
● To equip students with community coaching skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the UK community coaching environment
● To provide insight and understanding into the diversity of roles within Sport & Exercise Science and community coaching, recognising the importance of collaboration at all levels
● To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values
● To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in community coaching, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in Sport & Exercise Science or a related area
● To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives
● To provide students with opportunities to address contemporary issues facing the industry, and society at large; with particular emphasis on sustainability and the environment, recognising the role that Sport & Exercise Science plays in addressing these issues
● To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally recognised professional qualification within their chosen area of specialisation
● To provide opportunities for students to achieve vendor accredited certifications
● To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field, with particular emphasis on achieving management-level positions, professional recognition and beyond
● To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs
● To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations
Unit 1: Nutrition
Unit 2: Fundamentals of Sport & Exercise Psychology
Unit 3: Anatomy & Physiology
Unit 4: Professional Skills
Likely optional modules:
Unit 5: Coaching Practice & Skill Development
Unit 6: Training, Fitness, Testing
Unit 7: Lifestyle Coaching
Unit 8: Community Coaching
The qualificaition is classroom and workshop delivery with supplementary resources and activities on Microsoft Teams. The qualification is 12 months with 10 taught contact hours and an expectation of 6 self study hours.
All staff delivering the course have longstanding specialist subject experience and up-to-date knowledge of industry practices.
Formative and summative assessment; quizzes; presentations; written coursework.
This qualificaiton is being offered subject to qualification approval from Pearson.
The Pearson BTEC Higher National Certificate provides a solid grounding in Community Coaching for Sports Organisations at Level 4. Students can build on these should they decide to continue their studies beyond the Certificate stage. The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma allows students to specialise by committing to specific career paths and progression routes to degree-level study.
Possible career pathways include:
Coaching assistant ● Junior Coach ● Volunteering. ● Coach ● Community Coach ● Volunteering. ● Participation Coach ● Children/Youth Development Coach ● Performance Coach ● Senior/Advance Coach ● Mentoring